PRP, or platelet-rich plasma, is a product derived from a patient's own blood components. Platelet-rich plasma injections have been in use since the 1970s during root canals, heart surgeries and other procedures to reduce the risk of infection and promote healing. With ongoing studies, researchers have discovered even more uses for PRP injections, both cosmetic…
Hair Replacement From a Plastic Surgeon
A plastic surgeon can help change the way you look in many ways. People struggling with hair thinning or baldness want to rediscover youthful hair growth. Hair replacement procedures can give natural-looking results. If you want to know more about hair replacement treatments from your plastic surgeon, here are the details.
Choosing to get hair replacement
The patient should understand how the process works before deciding to work with a plastic surgeon to transplant hair. The doctor will explain the procedure, including its benefits and challenges. The doctor may discuss alternatives that can also suit the patient’s goals. The main goal is to achieve natural-looking results.
An overview of hair replacement
People who have some hair loss in specific areas of the scalp are good candidates for this procedure. The individual will most likely have more hair in the back and sides. In hair replacement, the plastic surgeon will take hair from these areas and move it to balding areas on the head. The procedure can help the patient achieve a thicker mane with proper guidance and care.
Preparing for the procedure
The plastic surgeon will provide the patient with a set of instructions before the surgery starts. The preparations may vary depending on the procedure. The patient must stick to these instructions. Doing so can help gain good and lasting results. Here are some of the common preparatory instructions:
- Refraining from consuming tobacco can help the transplant sites heal faster. Consuming tobacco will prevent proper blood oxygenation and circulation. The plastic surgeon will recommend canceling the treatment if the patient cannot stop smoking at least a day before the procedure.
- Letting the hair grow before the procedure will give the doctor a good supply of healthy and long follicles. The long hair will also hide the newly transplanted follicles after the surgery.
- Refraining from consuming alcohol at least a week before the surgery will help the site heal better. Alcohol tends to prevent proper blood oxygenation and circulation.
- Massaging the scalp for one to two months, 10-30 minutes a day, can soften the scalp skin and improve the scalp’s skin tone. This will also improve blood circulation.
- The plastic surgeon may ask for a blood test and an ECG if the patient is older than a specific age.
- Taking Minoxidil and other medications like it can help the new hair growth. The plastic surgeon will prescribe this medication if the procedure concentrates on the crown of the head. Taking antibiotics before or after the procedure will prevent infection. Refraining from taking beta-blockers, blood thinners, and anti-depressants can help with better healing.
What the patient can expect during the process
The person will come into the doctor’s office for the procedure. The doctor will use a local anesthetic and IV to sedate the person. This will provide comfort and a pain-free procedure. Most people will come into the office a few times to complete the procedure. The patient may have the procedures several months apart, depending on the severity of the hair loss.
After the replacement surgery
Some people experience soreness and swelling in the hair-replacement area. The plastic surgeon will use medication to reduce these effects. The patient may find scabs on their head. These scabs may feel itchy when the scabs start to flake off. Washing the hair on the third day after the procedure will give the scalp time to rest. Rest and relaxation are important for the next few days after the surgery.
Elevating the head while sleeping will prevent swelling in the transplant site. This should prevent swelling. Other people do not experience swelling at all. Feeling a slight pressure on the scalp is a signal for the person to sleep with an elevated head.
Once the plastic surgeon finishes the treatment, the patient can look forward to growing hair once more. New hair should appear within the following three months. Before this, the transplanted hair will start to shed. The person should expect desired results within six months of the procedure. The doctor will continue to follow up with the patient to check on progress and address any concerns the person may have.
See a plastic surgeon today
Hair loss may come later with aging in some people. It could come earlier in others. Genetics and stress may contribute to early hair loss. You can revive your hair by getting in touch with an experienced plastic surgeon. A hair transplant can make you feel better about the way you look. Working with your doctor can give you natural results.
Get more information about Dillon Hair Restoration in Schaumburg at http://dillonhair.com.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Hair growth is a crucial aspect of one's physical appearance and can affect self-esteem and confidence. It is frustrating when a full head of locks is replaced by thinning hair, prompting many to seek hair growth treatment. Fortunately, hair clinics offer numerous solutions for baldness and thinning hair, all dependent on the cause of one’s…
Hair loss is as common as it is frustrating for those dealing with it. However, advancements in hair restoration technology are giving people hope. From medications and new hair transplant techniques to novel approaches employing platelet-rich plasma therapy and low-level lasers, there are now more options than ever for the many people dealing with hair…
Male pattern baldness accounts for more than 95% of cases of hair loss in men, according to NYU Langone Hospitals. In fact, this condition affects more than 50 million Americans. Although it is not technically a health concern, the loss of hair can significantly impact the confidence of many people who experience male pattern baldness.…